Math Secrets! (And an Anchor Chart!)

Have you ever shown something to your kids and it just blew their minds?!

That’s what happened yesterday in my class during Math.

I showed my kids the trick for doing your 9’s multiplication facts on your hands.  I started out by drawing the hands on the board.  Then I wrote the multiplication problem underneath.  Next I erased the finger we were using in the problem.  Then I showed them the fingers that were left actually revealed the answer to the multiplication problem!

They were AMAZED!  Immediately the kids started clapping and saying, “Thank you, Mrs. Richliew!!!”  I swear, it was one of the best moments I’ve had during my nine years of teaching!

Here’s the anchor chart I made afterward.

Have you showed this trick to your kids?  How did they react?!
Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

9 Comments

Rachel Mack
    November 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm

My kids LOVE the nines trick. Part of their homework tonight was to go home and teach their parents!

Dana
    November 15, 2012 at 8:47 pm

That's a great idea! I'll tell them that tomorrow. 🙂 I came home and showed the hubby…too funny! He had never heard of it.

Stephanie @ 3rd Grade Thoughts
    November 15, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Love this! Too funny- I was going to teach my kids this tomorrow so they have something fun to practice over their Thanksgiving Break next week- great minds think alike 🙂 Fabulous anchor chart!!

~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

Dana
    November 15, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Haha! That IS funny! 🙂 Hope they get a kick out of the trick!

Helene Tack
    November 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I love the anchor chart with picture. I always have a hard time holding my hands to show them and having them practice with me. I end up having to turn around and hold my hands up. Then when I try to show them how to count, both my hands are being used so I can't point!!! hahahaha The chart makes it easier to visualize and try.

Dana
    November 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Thanks, Helene! That was my issue too! 🙂

Ms. Apovian
    November 16, 2012 at 7:38 am

My daughter learned a different trick. If it's 9×4.. she subtracted 1 from the 4 making it 3 – and then knew 3+6 = 9.. so 36..

It's pretty cool

Stephanie Ann
    November 18, 2012 at 1:23 am

omg…I have this planned for Monday! I found a youTube video on this if you're interested. I love your anchor chart though. I took a screen shot to add to my lesson….thank you for sharing!

Stephanie Ann
    Sparkling in Third Grade

Dana
    November 18, 2012 at 7:14 am

Great, Stephanie! And yes, what's the link for the video? I'd love to check it out!